August 30, 2025, 1:17 am

Amusement park in Dinajpur attacked, looted and set on fire over ‘anti-social activities’

  • Update Time : Friday, August 29, 2025
Photo: Collected


Dinajpur Correspondent:



An amusement park named Jibon Mahal in Birol upazila of Dinajpur was attacked, vandalised, looted, and set ablaze on Thursday (August 28), leaving at least 12 people injured.

The violence, which broke out around 3:30pm and continued for an hour, also saw two microbuses and five motorcycles belonging to journalists destroyed.

Police and army personnel later intervened to bring the situation under control.

The incident followed long-standing allegations of “anti-social activities” inside the park. Earlier on 17 August, a mobile court fined the park’s owner, Anwar Hossain alias Jibon Chowdhury, Tk1 lakh and jailed seven people after a raid on the premises.

On Thursday, tensions escalated as supporters of Anwar Hossain staged a rally in front of the park protesting what they termed “propaganda” against him, while locals under the banner of Towhidi Janata called for his arrest. Clashes erupted when several hundred people gathered at the site, leading to looting and arson.

Later, locals blocked the road demanding Anwar Hossain’s arrest, but lifted the blockade in the evening following assurances from the administration.

Park owner Anwar Hossain alleged the attack was premeditated, claiming losses of Tk2 crore.

Towhidi Janata leaders, however, accused Anwar of running anti-Islamic and immoral activities under the guise of a Darbar Sharif and said his followers instigated the violence.

Dinajpur Police Superintendent Marufat Hossain said locals had pledged a peaceful protest, but violence broke out after Anwar’s supporters clashed with them.

He added that legal action would be taken if complaints are filed.

 

 

Please Share This Post in Your Social Media

More News Of This Category
© All rights reserved © 2023 The Daily Sky
Theme Developed BY ThemesBazar.Com