Staff Correspondent:
Australian Home Minister Tony Burke on Thursday called Home Adviser Lt Gen (retd) Jahangir Alam Chowdhury over phone informing him that Australia would now process visas for Bangladeshi citizens from its High Commission in Dhaka.
The home adviser told the council of advisers that the decision would be effective immediately, said a press release issued by the Chief Adviser’s Press Wing.
Chief Adviser Professor Muhammad Yunus made the request to Australian Home Minister Burke when he visited Bangladesh in October last year.
Previously, Australia would process visas of the Bangladeshi nationals in New Delhi.